10.17.09: Homecoming 2pm tailgate
Post date: Aug 11, 2009 11:21:29 AM
At the 2009 annual GTCA homecoming tailgate, 60 attendees braved the cold weather and enjoyed warm BBQ from Fox Brothers BBQ. Adviser Rosalind Meyers and old Sports Club Director Dan Hazlett made an appearance and caught up with rowers who graduated from 1999 through to 2009. Alumni traveled from Texas, Florida, New Jersey and all across the US to reconnect with GT Crew.
Besides the delicious food and wonderful company, the cornhole tournament and the football game were exciting competitions. Cornhole champion Mark Keifert took his team to first place again while Bart and Ree DeBacker moved all the way up to second place this year. Prizes were courtesy of the Georgia Tech Alumni Association. Koozies and other give-aways provided a fun atmosphere.
The football game was one that Georgia Tech will never forget. The #19 Yellow Jackets' 28-23 upset over #5 Virginia Tech was its first win at home against a team ranked in the top five nationally since 1962. Tech was up the whole game, and the GTCA block was festive to say the least. GTCA secretary Cameron Troxel was out to make some friends, and some enemies while keeping the rest of the GTCA block laughing. Needless to say, it was alll the wwaaayyy turned up. Did anyone storm the field afterwards and help to take down the goalpost? If so, share it with the group!
Game Ticket information
As a new tradition, the GTCA had block seats at the homecoming game this year. Tickets were available through the merchandise section of the GTCA webpage and purchased tickets were distributed at the Tailgate. The GTCA block seats were a festive area, and it made watching the Yellow Jacket victory even more fun, if that is possible.
The annual Georgia Tech Crew Alumni Homecoming Tailgate is always open to general membership of the GTCA (friends, family and alumni of GT Crew). Socialize with fellow rowers, alumni and friends while enjoying free food and drink before the big game.
- Time: Kickoff is at 6pm. Tailgate begins at 2pm although members will surely be there earlier.
- BYOC: bring your own chair
- Lunch/Dinner: A BBQ meal from Fox Bros BBQ (pulled pork/chicken, coleslaw, mac & cheese - yum!) will be provided. Join the planning party committee if you would like to help with setup or with food donations (snacks, desserts, etc.).
- No RSVP required
- Corn hole tournament! Sign up by 3pm to be in the tournament.
- Location: The same location as the 2009 tailgate. Parking lot between the Physics Building and Mechanical Engineering Building (the corner of the lot that faces Ferst Drive).